A poisoning scare for Angara

Angara is a 10 week old Alaskan Malamute, who was found one morning by her owners chewing on a packet of Nurofen tablets. Her owners picked up Angara and the Nurofen packet and rushed her straight into our hospital.

As the packet had been chewed, it was impossible for us to know how many tablets Angara had eaten if any. The veterinarian checked the drug label on the packet and found the tablets contain ibuprofen.

Ibroprofen can be quite toxic to pets and as little as 100mg/kg can cause gastric ulceration and acute kidney failure, which can be fatal. Angara was admitted to the hospital for immediate treatment.

Vomiting was induced to rid the body of any tablets which may still be in Angara's stomach, but no tablets were found. Angara was immediately put on intravenous fluids to help support her kidneys. She was kept on intravenous fluids for 24 hours.

The next day, Angara was showing no signs of gastric ulceration or kidney failure and was discharged from hospital.

Her owners were asked to return in 3 days with Angara so a blood test could be taken to check her kidney function as typical kidney failure occurs within 1-3 days.

Angara's blood results turned out to be normal.

Share