Each year thousands of dogs are destroyed or end up in pounds and animal shelters due to behavioural problems developed early in life. Puppy Pre-School is a must for any owner wanting a well-behaved, sociable dog. Our classes are designed for puppies between the ages of 8 and 12 weeks, as it is much easier to teach your puppy correctly from the start rather than correcting bad behaviour later on.
Puppy Pre-School provides a safe environment for your puppy to socialise and classes are kept small so time can be spent with each puppy and their owner.
Topics we cover
Dogs in Nature – Background on dogs’ natural “pack” behaviour and how this can help you to understand many of the behaviours displayed by your new puppy.
- Socialisation – Why socialisation is so important and how to go about ensuring your puppy is well socialised.
- Preventative Medicine – Outline of the preventative medicines currently available and which ones are important for your puppy.
- Toilet Training – Effective methods and how to discipline.
- Discipline – How to go about disciplining your puppy effectively.
- Diet and Feeding – When, where, how often and what/what not to feed your new puppy.
- Dental Care – Maintenance of healthy teeth and gums.
- Grooming – Brushing, bathing, nail clipping. When to start, what needs to be done for your individual puppy. How to introduce your puppy to being groomed without making them afraid.
- Fleas – What’s effective, what’s not and how to avoid a flea explosion in your household.
- Dangers in the Home – How to make your home a safer place for your puppy… common dangers which are easily overlooked.
- Exercise and Play – How often and for how long? The importance of exercise and play.
- Training – The importance of training, where and when to train your puppy.
- Hospital Tour – Catch a glimpse of what it’s like “behind the scenes”
- Problem Behaviours – Chewing, digging, jumping up on people etc… why all puppies do it and effective ways to discipline.
- Council Laws – Advice on what’s legally required for your puppy and where you can exercise him in your local shire.
- Missing Dogs – What to do if your new puppy goes missing… Effective ways of locating your little friend!
- GRADUATION! – Presentation of graduation certificates and treats!
Time is spent with each puppy individually to ensure training is relevant and effective. Behaviours covered include: Recall, sit, drop, lead work, stay….
before your puppy starts school
All puppies must be between 8 and 12 weeks old and have had their first vaccination.
How to make a booking
Bookings are essential so we can keep classes to a minimum. Please phone our clinic for course details, times and further details about enrolment. Alternatively, you can submit an online enrolment request form here.